"Eliminating worker exposure" means the competent person has the authority to stop work operations until the hazard is abated.
The skills required to effectively serve as a competent person depends on the nature of the excavation and the requirements of the employer's excavation safety program.
At a minimum, most competent persons must have an understanding of:
- Basic excavation and soils terminology.
- Signs and causes of cave-ins.
- Basic soil mechanics and soil classification.
- Protective systems (sloping, shoring, shielding).
- De-watering systems and requirements.
- Hazardous atmospheres: testing and ventilation.
- Safety planning.
- Conducting inspections.
- This is a two-day course that meets a variety of strict government safety requirements.
To register by fax, mail, or print our course schedule - Click Here.